What is Feminist Camp?
Feminist Camp is a transformative week of feminism in action that can’t be found anywhere else. It is hosted twice a year in NYC by Manifesta authors and activists, Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards.
>> Summer 2014 Session: June 1 – 7 <<
>> Deadline to register: April 22 <<
- Five immersive days of meetings and workshops across New York City highlighting diverse forms of feminism in action; each day centers around a theme (past themes include Reproductive Justice, Sexual Power, Feminist Art, Philanthropy, Women and Incarceration, and more).
- One day dedicated to feminist workplaces and careers, which includes practical advice and a half-day internship.
- One session dedicated to developing an activist or academic action plan to leverage your Feminist Camp experience in your home communities
- Facilitated dialogue and one-on-one time with Amy Richards and Jennifer Baumgardner (and other local and nationally-known feminists).
- Expanded network of feminist colleagues, friends, and networking opportunities
- Increased depth of knowledge of feminism in action
- Connections to leading feminist organizations, activists, thinkers, and resources
- The pleasure of five days of non-stop intellectual nourishment
- $1,500 including housing
- $1,000 not including housing
- We find that many students are able to get their schools to cover all (or part) of the program fee. Contact us for more information!
Ready? Sign up here. Need more info? Read on…
Frequently Asked Questions
What will we do?
A typical day at Feminist Camp:
AM: Meet with Third Wave Foundation and learn about their grant-making strategies, grantees, and young feminist philanthropy.
Lunch: Brownbag discussion with Amy and Jennifer
PM: Breakout sessions with several reproductive justice organizations, such as National Advocates for Pregnant Women, Sistas on the Rise, and Choices in Childbirth.
Evening: Mix with young New York feminists at the radical bookstore/collective Bluestockings, Paradigm Shift or Reproductive Health Happy Hour.
Who Will We Meet?
Feminist Camp is different every time, but to give you an idea, here are some places and people we’ve met with in the past:
AIR Gallery, The Alan Guttmacher Institute, Babeland, Bluestockings Bookstore, BUST Magazine, Choices in Childbirth, CHOICES Medical Clinic, Concrete Utopia, The Doula Project, Equality NOW, Girls for Gender Equity, The Girl’s Project, Girls Write Now, The Feminist Press, International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Coalition, International Women’s Health Coalition, Midwives For Choice, The Museum of Sex, National Advocates For Pregnant Women, NARAL Pro-Choice New York, Planned Parenthood NYC, Rabbis for Human Rights, REVEAL Conference, The Sackler Center for Feminist Art, The Sex Workers Project, The Sister Fund, the Third Wave Foundation, UNICEF, and The Women’s Media Center.
Racialicious blogger, Latoya Peterson; Writer/activist, Gloria Steinem; Gynecologist/Activist, Virginia Reath; Sex Education Activist, Shelby Knox; Radical Lawyer, Lynn Paltrow; Midwife/Activist, Stacey Rees; and Abortion Clinic-owner, Merle Hoffman.
Who should attend?
Feminist Camp is open to all who are interested in learning more about transforming feminist theory into practice. It is especially recommended for upperclass undergrads and recently-graduated individuals. We’ve hosted students of all genders, races, religions, nationalities and ages. We’re committed to accessibility and will make appropriate accommodations for anyone interested in the program.
What are the costs?
The $1,500 program fee includes housing, light breakfasts and lunches for five days, all programming, and a weekly MetroCard. The fee is $1000 if housing isn’t needed. This fee does NOT include transportation to NYC, dinner, and other entertainment you choose to pursue on your own. We estimate $20 to $50 a day to cover these additional expenses.
Need fundraising ideas? Download our Feminist Camp Prep Kit. Many students are eligible for funding and course credit from their schools.